Sunday, October 7, 2018

Praise Report

As all of you know, in late June 2015, gay marriage was scene as morally legitimate in America. A lot of fear grew in me because I felt that with this would come the loss of religious freedom and free speech. I feared that many more of my brethren in Christ who were photographers and makers of marriage cakes would lose their jobs for refusing to do things for gay couples.

And then a ray of hope came in the form of this article:



The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday in favor of a Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. But the 7-to-2 decision was on the narrowest of grounds and left unresolved whether business owners have a free speech right to refuse to sell goods and services to same-sex couples.
The case began when a same-sex couple in Colorado — Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins — filed a complaint with the state civil-rights commission after baker Jack Phillips told them that he did not design custom cakes for gay couples. Colorado, like most states, has a state anti-discrimination law for businesses that are open to the public. Twenty-one states, including Colorado, have laws that bar discrimination based on sexual orientation, in addition to barring discrimination based on race, religion and gender.

Acting on the complaint filed by Craig and Mullins, the Colorado Civil Rights Commission ruled in favor of the couple, as did the state Supreme Court. Phillips appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court. As he put it last December, "It is hard for me to believe the government is forcing me to choose between providing for my family ... and violating my relationship with God(Continue reading)."

This gives me hope. It shows that this country and the people in it still have some moral sanity and that I can hold on to my freedoms much more longer. It shows that the leaders of this country still have a conscience. My prayer is that Yahweh will continue to guide these leaders and help them make decisions that will protect everyone’s religious liberties.

No comments:

Post a Comment