Thursday, October 27, 2011

Imprisoned For ‘Blasphemy’ Pakistani Christian Woman Pressured To Embrace Islam

October 27, 2011 International Christian Concern (Washington D.C.)- Ruth Thomas (name changed for security reasons), a Pakistani mother of four was arrested in February 2011 after a Muslim man falsely accused her of blaspheming against Muhammad. After spending the past eight months behind bars, she was released on bail on October 18th. She could be put to death if found guilty of the alleged offense.

Speaking to ICC, Ruth recounted her ordeal during the prison time. She said, “A lady prison guard tortured me in the prison and cut my hair off. The entire Muslim fellow prisoners and prison staff hated me a lot. They were so unkind to me even when I was on my death bed. They wanted me to die without any medical help. They considered me untouchable; nobody was there to console me or to help me in prison.”

She also said that she came under pressure to embrace Islam in exchange for better treatment.
Once, a prison warden asked me to accept Islam. She offered me better treatment, food, clothes and other luxuries for embracing Islam but I refused flatly. I said to her that I would prefer dying in Christ rather than obtaining luxuries without Him. I have been praying for my release because I was sure that God is my heavenly father and whatever I will ask in the name of Christ He will grant me. It was my strong belief that He was watching my suffering and someday He will set me free.”

testimony is very similar to Asia Bibi’s, a Christian woman on a death row after her Muslim colleagues accused her of blasphemy against Muhammad. Asia Bibi’s husband, Ashiq Masih is quoted as saying that his wife “is weak and frail, but is high in spirit.”

ICC’S Regional Manager for South Asia, Jonathan Racho, said “we continue to be mesmerized by the strong faith of Christians in Pakistan and other countries where they face persecution. For many Christians, the only hope they have in the face of persecution is their faith and the prayers of Christians around the world. Please pray for Ruth, Asia Bibi and other Christian victims of persecution (Source).”

No comments:

Post a Comment